Senior Quality Officer
About the Job
About the HCV Network Secretariat
The HCV Network is a member-basedorganization that promotes the High Conservation Value (HCV) Approach, a methodology to identify and protect ecosystems, biodiversity, and the needs of indigenous peoples and local communities (IPLCs) where development takes place.
The Secretariat runs the Network’s day-to-day operations. It provides quality assurance, learning opportunities,tools and guidance, and technical advice to ensure robust implementation of the methodology in all ecosystems (land-based, aquatic), scales (from farms and management units to landscapes and jurisdictions), and development contexts(forestry, agribusiness, other).
The Secretariat is hosted by HCV NetworkLtd. a not-for-profit company registered in England and Wales (company no.9710578).
Our Quality Assurance work
The HCV Approach has several steps that users must follow, including identification, management, and monitoring of HighConservation Values (HCVs). To ensure that the HCV Approach is implemented rigorously by all users (including voluntary sustainability standards, producer and supply chain companies, financial institutions, other), the HCV Network has adedicated Quality Assurance workstream.
Currently, Quality Assurance work largely focuses on ensuring robust identification of HCVs, and identification of HCVs alongside High Carbon Stock (HCS) forests in high-risk developments through asystem called the Assessor Licensing Scheme (ALS).
The ALS conducts desk-based evaluations of reports produced by professionals licensed to lead HCV or HCV-HCSA assessments. Evaluations are done by a Quality Panel and can have up to three attempts to achieve a satisfactory mark. All evaluations are managed via Salesforce, an online customer relationship management (CRM) solution.
Better Cotton, Rainforest Alliance, the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), and the High Carbon Stock Approach(HCSA) Steering Group are examples of users of this system.
The HCV Network Secretariat is expanding its quality assurance services to ensure robust application of the HCV Approach across a wider range of scales (large landscapes or jurisdictions, farms, plantations,management units, smallholdings), ecosystems (from forests to grasslands and aquatic systems) and productive systems.
About the role
The Secretariat is looking for a Senior Quality Officer. This is an exciting opportunity to work with global voluntary sustainability standards, NGOs, producer andsupply chain companies and external partners and stakeholders.
Reports to: Quality Manager
- Evaluate HCV and HCV-HCSA assessment reports.
- Conduct HCV and HCV-HCSA Initial Checks.
- Process appeals to report evaluations led as Primary Reviewer.
- Participate in the design,implementation, and continuous improvement of quality assurance procedures and processes and contribute to the overall growth and development of our quality assurance services offering.
- Contribute to the update of technical documentation.
- Support the Quality Manager with overall system management (for example: CRM platform improvements,contracting Quality Panel members, and processing report submissions and resubmissions.)
- Fluency in English and at least one of these other languages: Bahasa Indonesia, Spanish, French.
- Tertiary level (masters or equivalent) qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g., natural resources management, conservation, agriculture, forestry, or social sciences).
- Experience and/or knowledge related to sustainability standards, auditing, and certification, in the context of natural resource management (mainly in forestry, agriculture,fisheries, REDD+).
- Previous experience or knowledge of the HCV and HCS Approaches, and Free Prior and Informed Consent(FPIC).
- Experience with GIS, remote sensing, and/or other mapping tools.
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a global team that is connected remotely.
- Excellent project management skills including excellent time-management, problem-solving and organizational abilities.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal and team working skills, as well as proven ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in handling confidential information.
- Excellent understanding of environmental and social sustainability issues affecting the forestry and agricultural commodities sectors.
- Experience in using Microsoft Office (Teams, Outlook, other).
Experience with Salesforce and/or other CRM systems, cloud-based systems, and other IT.
- Experience in attending international conferences and public presentations.
- Experience in consultation and working with various stakeholders including large companies, small and medium enterprises, NGOs, financing institutions, government agencies, smallholders,and local communities.
Global (remote work).
Hours of work
Full-time (8 hours per day, 5 days perweek).
HCV Network Ltd.
1-year contract (3-month probation period),with possibility to become permanent based on performance.
Commensurate with skills and experience.
How to apply?
Please send a 1-page cover letter explaining your suitability for the position and your CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday,March 15th, 2023. Applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.