Job Description: Finance Assistant
About the HCV Network
The HCV Network envisions a world where production to meet human needs conserves nature, benefits people, and respects their rights. The HCV Network provides practical tools to conserve nature and benefit people where commodities are produced, linking local actions with global sustainability targets and agreements such as the Global Biodiversity Framework and the Paris Agreement.
The HCV Network was founded in 2005 to set the standard for implementation of the HCV Approach, a science-based methodology to identify and protect six categories of High Conservation Values (HCVs) from the negative impacts of land-use change. Examples of HCVs are ecosystem services, rare, threatened, or endangered species, ecosystems, and the needs and livelihoods of indigenous peoples and local communities (IPLCs).
The protection of HCVs is required by more than 20 voluntary sustainability standards for commodity production, financial institutions (including some of the most important commercial banks), international aid agencies, and large corporations operating in the Forest, Land and Agriculture (FLAG) sector.
The HCV Network is a member-based organisation. Members include global social and environmental NGOs, producer and supply chain companies, technical service providers and voluntary sustainability standards who have a shared interest in ensuring the robust implementation of the HCV Approach to achieve benefits for nature, people, and climate in development contexts.
About the HCV Network Secretariat
The Secretariat runs the Network’s day-to-day operations. It is hosted by HCV Network Ltd., a private company limited by guarantee without share capital registered in England and Wales (company no. 9710578). The Secretariat team is multi-cultural and works remotely from different countries (Indonesia, Costa Rica, Argentina, the UK, Sweden, Netherlands, and France). The team leads the development of technical guidance and tools, provides quality assurance services and learning opportunities, and gives technical support to HCV Network Members and other users to ensure robust implementation of the methodology in all ecosystems, scales, and development contexts (forestry, agribusiness, other).
About the role
Reports to: Finance Manager
The HCV Network Secretariat is recruiting a Finance Assistant. This position is an exciting opportunity to take on the day-to-day finance function and assist in the financial management of HCVN and help develop, maintain and improve our financial systems and controls in a period of growth. The post will involve interacting with both internal and external staff and working with the Finance Manager to ensure a high level of operational delivery of financial duties. The role has development opportunities within the organisation.
• Day-to-day bookkeeping on Xero
• Multi-currency bank reconciliations
• Issuing customer invoices and credit control
• Recording supplier invoices and setting up weekly payments for authorisation
• Managing the payroll process & pension administration
• Assisting with budget preparation and regular update of cash flow forecast
• Internal and external project and grant reporting
• Assisting with the preparation of monthly financial reports
• Recognised accountancy qualification and member of professional body.
• Preferably 2 years’ relevant experience
• Excellent project management skills (time-management, problem-solving and organisational abilities).
• Excellent Excel skills and general knowledge of other Microsoft Office products, Xero Accounting software and teleconference software.
• Discretion in handling confidential information
• Fluency in English.
• Ability to work remotely in a global team working in different time zones.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Highly developed interpersonal and team working skills, as well as ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment.
• Experience working in not-for-profit sector.
• Up to 30 days’ annual leave (pro rata)
• Professional development support
• Home Office supplies
• Working from home allowance
• Flexible working
United Kingdom, preferably Oxford-based (remote). Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Hours of work
Part-time (24 hours per week)
HCV Network Ltd.
Permanent (3 months’ probation)
Commensurate with skills and experience.
How to apply?
Please send a 1-page cover letter explaining your suitability for the position and your CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 15 Dec 2023. Applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.